Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Chinese Triads

The Chinese triads is an interesting subject because I learned a little about this in my criminal justice class. The history is the triads goes back to when the British controlled Hong Kong, they were named the "White Lotus Society" or "The Boxers". The triads follow a structure for leadership and the organization is very secretive and flows down to all its members. The triads originally started in China and now has influences all throughout Asia and maybe even further. The triad members engage in things such as extortion from businesses and people, money laundering, human trafficking and controlling prostitution. They have also been know for counterfeiting money and smuggling contraband. I saw a couple of Cantonese movies growing up about triad members and I thought I would make a posting about this. The triads also follow an initiation method that is similar to the Italian Mafia or the Japanese Yakuza. The amount of money the triads has now is a considerable amount and the amount of crime these days have lowered due to the more business like methods the triads conduct now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment